October marks, Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness month and national Restart A Heart day. With two great campaigns being run this month, we thought we would share some SCA facts for you to take a look at:-
- People often confuse a heart attack with sudden cardiac arrest, believing that they are in-fact the same thing. A heart attack is when the heart is unable to pump blood around the body due to a blockage, often caused by a blocked artery. SCA occurs when an electrical malfunction of the heart causes it to suddenly stop beating.
- Approximately 50% of SCA victims initially require defibrillation. All victims require CPR. performing CPR & using a defibrillator within minutes, can double or triple the victims chance of survival.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest can happen anytime & anywhere, even if a person is fit and healthy.
- SCA strikes almost six million people per year around the world
- With a survival rate of less than 5% Sudden Cardiac Arrest is responsible for more deaths than breast cancer, lung cancer and HIV/AIDS combined.
We could write pages and pages of SCA facts, but ultimately the message that we want everyone to remember is that CPR with defibrillation MASSIVLY helps if SCA strikes!
In light of Sudden Cardiac Arrest awareness month & Restart A Heart day, we want to help spread the word on the importance of accessible defibrillators within businesses, schools and communities. With this in mind, we are offering a free ‘Basic Life Support, with the use of a Defibrillator’ course to one of our lucky customers.
We will be posting pictures and videos of the training session via our social media platforms and website in order to increase awareness of both Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Month and Restart A Heart day.